Although Artifact’s playerbase is in a free fall, Valve seems to has not given up. The developer release a brand new update for their card game last night, buffing close to 20 items.
Most changes include a reduction to items’ gold cost in what’s likely an attempt to incentivize diverse item deckbuilding. In the current Constructed metagame, only a few items are in constant rotation. The likes of Blink Dagger, Stonehall Cloak, Phase Boots and Demagicking Maul are in almost every deck of every archetype. This mass cost reduction is similar to Valve’s tactic from balancing CS:GO weapons but we’re yet to see if it will have an effect on Artifact.
At first sight, there are items that are getting way better already. Phase Boots is already a meta item and a cost reduction to 5 gold will be welcomed by everybody. Some lesser used items like Cloak of Endless Carnage will also welcome the change. CoEC’s cost is reduced from 13 to 10, making it a way more affordable card draw mechanic. Assassin’s Veil new cost of 4 gold now puts it in the same company of Revtel Signet Ring and Stonehall Cloak and might appear in decks more.
What fans will love to see most is that Valve’s intention to be in Artifact for the long haul has remained unchanged, as the patch itself says so.
Artifact 1/28 update
Item Card Changes:
- Blade of the Vigil: Cleave increased from +2 to +4
- Keenfolk Plate: Added “Equipped hero’s attackers have -1 Armor”
- Stonehall Pike cost reduced from 6 gold to 5 gold
- Stonehall Plate cost reduced from 6 gold to 5 gold
- Barbed Mail cost reduced from 6 gold to 5 gold
- Assassin’s Veil cost reduced from 6 gold to 4 gold
- Phase Boots cost reduced from 6 gold to 5 gold
- Broadsword cost reduced from 7 gold to 6 gold
- Keenfolk Musket cost reduced from 7 gold to 6 gold
- Chainmail cost reduced from 7 gold to 6 gold
- Fur-lined Mantle cost reduced from 7 gold to 6 gold
- Red Mist Maul cost reduced from 10 gold to 9 gold
- Obliterating Orb cost reduced from 10 gold to 9 gold
- Ring of Tarrasque cost reduced from 12 gold to 10 gold
- Cloak of Endless Carnage cost reduced from 13 gold to 10 gold
- Claymore cost reduced from 15 gold to 14 gold
- Platemail cost reduced from 15 gold to 12 gold
- Hero’s Cape cost reduced from 15 gold to 12 gold
Private Lobby & Tournament Changes:
- Added Random Two Color deck option for private lobbies and tournaments. This gives both players different randomized 2-color decks in each match.
- Added Speed Timer option for private lobbies and tournaments. This allows players 10 seconds to take each action.
- Automated Open Tournaments are now ‘Chaos Blitz’. Chaos Blitz is Random Two Color, Speed Timer, 8 player free-for-all lasting for 1 hour and 30 minutes
Bug Fixes & Other Changes:
- Hovering gold in the HUD displays the amount of gold spent but not yet revealed through playing items (this is a clue rather than an exact amount because of hidden information with Hold, Shop Deed, etc.)
- Fixed Rebel Instigator combat arrows not appearing sometimes
- Fixed issue with Plague wards spawn particles
- Fixed losing a few seconds from the action timer after deployment
- Fixed tournament draft replays not showing selected cards
- Fixed long persona names getting cut off
- Fixed crosslane targets sometimes not showing in Last Action text.
- Fixed Chat Wheel lines for Rebel Decoy, Pit Fighter of Quoidge, Zeus, and Beastmaster
- Reduced low end noise in deck building ambient audio
- Added particle effects for some passive abilities
- Slightly reduced draw card animation speed (time between draws remains the same)
- Slightly increased the time between Eclipse beams (intro/outro time remains the same)
- Improved stability
- Updated localization files
- Still in it for the long haul